MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. The following is an in depth overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the 3 aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers to the components of C and N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX Phases and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have an array of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be used in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Furthermore, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials rich in ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually range from the etching treatment of the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., as well as good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are popular in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the action and stability in the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials bring gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, with all the continuous progress of technology and science and the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. These aspects could become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques can be further explored to comprehend a much more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, there is however still room for additional optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment along with other facets of the material can be studied and improved in depth to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been commonly used in many fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to become explored. In the future, they may be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in numerous fields. With the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.